You may have heard of microdosing: When people consume psychedelics, usually LSD or magic mushrooms, in miniscule quantities for purported cognitive and mental health benefits.
But what about macrodosing?
A University of British Columbia adjunct professor and researcher into psychedelic drugs co-authored a study which examines the impact of people overdosing on LSD. It found that for three people, who consumed extremely large quantities of the drug —in one case as much as 550 times a normal recreational dose — didn’t have any long-term adverse effects and can actually have demonstrable health benefits.
But before you get too excited about trading in your acid reflux for acid flashbacks, the benefits are mostly for mental health conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, anxiety and substance-use disorder. buy magic mushrooms
But in one of three cases examined in the report, a woman reported the lysergic acid diethylamide overdose helped her with physical pain in her foot that had bothered her for roughly 20 years.
The report cautions that the information is “novel” as no clinical trial research has been done with such quantities. The data is anecdotal, no blood or urine samples were available and the exact dosages were approximate. shroom strains
Psychedelics are a class of drugs that produce mental, visual and auditory changes. The word has replaced the outdated term hallucinogen. Lysergic acid diethylamide is one of the most powerful psychedelics and is one of the few recreational drugs measured in micrograms (one millionth of a gram).
Lysergic acid diethylamide has been used for decades in clinical research, but typically within the range of 75 to 200 micrograms, the report states. Mark Haden, executive director of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies and co-author of the report, said it’s not possible to study the effects of a massive dose of Lysergic acid diethylamide in a clinical trial because it simply wouldn’t be allowed.
So researchers decided to look at accidental overdoses. The people in the study reported taking anywhere from 1,000 micrograms to 55 milligrams, which would be the equivalent of a 550 times a normal recreational dose (about 100 micrograms).
In the first case report, a 15-year-old girl with bipolar disorder accidently consumed 1,000 micrograms of Lysergic acid diethylamide instead of 100 due to a decimal point error when the supplier was diluting liquid LSD into a glass of water. Observers reported erratic behavior for nearly seven hours, including her lying in a fetal position with her arms and fists clenched and seizures.
The girl’s father reportedly entered the hospital room and the girl told him “it’s over.” But she wasn’t referring to the LSD trip – she meant her bipolar disorder was cured.
“This case report documents a signiﬁcant improvement in mood symptoms, including reductions in mania with psychotic features, following an accidental Lysergic acid diethylamide overdose, changes that have been sustained for almost 20 years,” the report states.
The second case examines a 26-year-old woman who accidently consumed 500 microgram while two weeks pregnant. Her son is now 18 years old and healthy.